Penhascoso, is a village that was the seat of the parish of the same name (currently UFMPA), located west of the town of Mação.
It was not always called Penhascoso, and until 1941 it was called Panascoso. The origin of this toponym is related to the name of a gramineous plant called panasco, abundant in this region and used as pasture by cattle. However, on 10th April 1941, Decree Law 31212 determined that the toponym should be changed to Penhascoso, arguing that the village's name derived from the ancient word Peña, in the meantime converted into penha, whose meaning would be in harmony with the rocky or cliffy characteristics of the land where the village was located. There was a great deal of discussion at the time and these two theories were the existing and communicated ones.
After the Christian reconquest, Penhascoso belonged for a long time to the Tomar County, unlike most of the Mação County, paying a rent to the Portuguese Crown for the water from the streams used for mills, olive presses and olive oil presses. It belonged to the Municipality of Sardoal until 1895 and was incorporated in the Mação Municipality in 1898.
In this region, vestiges of civilisations that settled here were found, of which we highlight the discovery of a silex halberd which dates back the antiquity of the settlement of this area to very remote eras. There are also vestiges of a Castro which is said to have been the origin of the settlement. The surrounding localities are known to have carried out activities such as auriferous exploration on the banks of streams, due to the discovery of various utensils, including an axe (Casal de Barba Pouca).
Penhascoso, Casal de Barba Pouca, Espinheiros, Monte Penedo, Queixoperra, Ribeira de Boas Eiras, Serra.
Notables: Parish church, old primary school, Fundão square, festas square, dry stone walls and the feiteira viewpoint.
Local Walking trail: PR9-MAC-ROTA DO PENHASCOSO
N 39º 32' 32.537'' W 8º 2' 20.811''
© Rotas de Mação | Developed by InfoPortugal